Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Amazing Sister and Brother and Sister and other Brother and Parents and... (you get the picture)

Finding a good deal on groceries gets me excited, but nothing makes me happier than my family. I know I usually blog about saving money, but today I wanted to post about something that brings me true joy and happiness.

Words that describe my family:

Remarkable, Amazing, loving, selfless, charitable, INCREDIBLE, magnificent…



Yesterday my younger brother, Tom, received a kidney transplant. Years ago he was diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease. When his kidneys failed the first time, our brother William, who was a newlywed at the time, selflessly donated a kidney. William never complained and did not second guess himself. His new wife, Erin, did not question it either. His recovery was not easy, and his wife was there all along supporting his decision to help our brother, who would have died without the transplant. That was more than 10 years ago.

About a year and a half ago Tom found out that his borrowed kidney was living on borrowed time, and he'd need another transplant very soon. Yesterday was that day! This time my younger sister Bethany was the donor. Not only did Bethany volunteer to donate a kidney, she was EXCITED to be able to help our brother in this way! What's even more remarkable is that THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME Bethany has stepped up to save the life of a family member. When Bethany was just 16 years old, she donated her bone marrow to our sister DeAnne, who was stricken with leukemia. DeAnne has been in remission for more than 15 years now.

What a blessing it is to me to be a part of a loving, unselfish family. It's not uncommon for any one of my family members to do something kind and generous on a daily basis. It's uplifting to know that these are the people I get to be stuck with throughout the eternities. It all started more than 47 years ago when my parents fell in love and gave life to 16 children, but that’s a whole other story!

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, I miss getting to be a part of it all! You are all in my prayers and I will Tom will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alena ChristensenMarch 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

    Thanks Bonnie for the write up! I love my family too! Everyone is so very great!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete